Blog Post #56 - Credits scene

 After watching my film over and over I knew it was missing something. I realized I never fully touched on the subject of her illness. Bonnie has Oneirophrenia, I have elaborated on this many times. However, when watching the film, her mental illness is never described. I knew this is what was missing. Therefore, I added in a scene for both the credits and an insight to her illness. This way the audience is fully aware what she has and gets to see how it affects her. Once I filmed this scene, the film came together.

This scene is 30 seconds long and introduces a new actor. I wanted the scene to be of Bonnies younger self. I used my sister Sophia Robinson. Sophia and Bonnie have identical features. They both have dark curly hair, brown eyes, and similar vibes overall. Seeing this made it clear she would be perfect. Bonnie is 17 years old and Sophia, playing Bonnies younger self, is 12 years old. This is the perfect age to tell she was a couple years younger when she was diagnosed. I filmed Sophia on the couch with a blank wall. This was to get the mise-en-scéne of a therapist room. Nothing around her, just the black couch and blank wall.

Bonnie is emotionless as she listens to the doctor diagnose her. The voiceover explains what her illness is and how to will affect her as she ages. This scene includes sound of the VoiceOver but also a heartbeat and flatline noise. These were used intentionally to show she is zoning out from what the doctor is saying. These are the links to the sounds overlayed:


Flatline noise:

https://youtu.be/bfWD1voJS_w?si=YJQ4ibfq1IshMAfD

Heartbeat :

https://youtu.be/9zw6eZEBp30?si=t3YL27IjcthiF6rQ

Woman crying :

https://youtu.be/ONb28aPRmBI?si=BZ9fzVLlw_ndURHJ

The woman crying is a sound usage I overplayed over a black scene. This shows Bonnie cry about what she was just diagnosed with, whilst also transitioning into the current time of how Bonnie is doing 5 years later. This scene replaces the opening scene. This is now the opening scene and the original opening scene was pushed back as scene two. This way it is clear what Bonnie is suffering from and the overall theme and plot is better understood.

This scene uses natural lighting, mid-shot camera shot, and close-up camera shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #6 - Typical Conventions + Posters

Blog Post #61 - Critical Reflection