Blog post #6 - Typical Conventions + Posters
Storming ideas for my final project includes the audience understanding the genre of my film by watching it. When viewing my final extract, it should be determinable that my genres are horror, thriller, and drama. To do this, I need to find common conventions found within each genre.
Typical horror conventions include a dark, unsettling atmosphere, isolation, mystery, ominous sounds, etc. To get inspiration, there's a few movie posters to view. "The Conjuring 2" poster immediately shows themovie is horror. It has dark imagery/atmosphere, isolation, black and white colors, the mystery of the large hand and lots of suspense just by the look. Seeing this, allows me to understand what I will need to include in my final project. I will be majority filming after dark to get the darker atmosphere. Followed by the main character being isolated and uneasy music to create suspense.
Thrillers are similar; however, they add that engagement with the audience. Those feelings of excitement, suspense, anxiety, and anticipation. Horror and thriller typically go hand-and-hand. For thriller, "The Prestige" poster resembles the genre very well. Looking at this use of cross-media convergence, it is visible that this thriller contains a battle/fight, a mystery women between them, and tension. The use of dark colors, suspense, upset facial expressions, and overall theme show the thriller aspect. I will use these conventions along with the horror ones to get my genres across to the audience.
The movie "Flashback" is a good use of the drama genre title. Focusing on the poster, the reaching for each other, facial expressions, darker colors, and setup shows it will be a drama. It is easy to depict that there will be an emotional storyline, struggles, conflict, and personal improvement. I will include these conventions as well. The emotion and struggle that my characters will overcome.



Comments
Post a Comment