Blog post #12 - Camera Shot Research
For a horror/thriller/drama genre short film I am going to need a wide variety of camera angles, shots, and movements. Important shots to include in my short film could be:
- Long Shot / Wide Shot
- Full Shot
- Medium Shot
- Close Up
- Extreme Close Up
- Establishing Shot
- Two Shot
- Over-the-Shoulder Shot (OTS)
- Point-of-View Shot (POV)
- Shallow Focus
- Tracking shot
The top priorities for these camera shots listed above will be the establishing shot, close-up, full shot, and tracking shot. I will include the list however, I will focus my skills on these particular ones. For reasoning, suspense is built through proper editing, sounds, but also the camera shots. Within horror/drama genres they have to catch the expressions of their actors. This being said, I will have to focus on capturing up close shots such as close-ups. For thrillers, they need that action side, for this I will need the further shots like full shot and tracking shot to show action and location. The two most important will be close-up and establishing shot.
Close- up
For a couple examplesLighting plays a large part in capturing emotion, however, so does camera shots and angles. For close-up shots, such as this, the emotion, skin tone, eye direction, are all clear to the audience. It is visible how hes feeling and where he's looking. I will need to include this shot for that purpose. Showing the audience a clear shot of how my character/ side characters are feeling.
Establishing shot
Establishing shots are mandatory for the horror vibe. This image shows suspense while also giving the audience suspense. It is dark, far away, and shows the viewers an exact place. Doing this, I can edit it with suspenseful music and it will feel dark and scary. Typical conventions of horror films are seen doing a shot like this one.
Comments
Post a Comment