Blog post #11 - Lighting techniques

Types of lighting for my film:
  • hard/soft lighting
  • natural/artificial
  • ambient lighting
  • exposure/ lighting placement 
  • high key/lowkey
  • overhead and under lighting

Lighting techniques is a big thing I plan to improve on. Last year I didn't use much planned/staged lighting. I did research but didn't go through with much. This year, I have the lighting research and I'm more willing to apply them to my short film. My short film this year needs staged lighting since it will be dark. Therefore, the most important lighting for my short film will be hard lighting, natural and artificial, ambient, high/lowkey, overhead/under lighting, and then using the right amount of exposure alongside proper lighting placement. 



Lighting placement ands exposure in lighting will depend on how the shot will come out. In my preliminary assignment I used a method of holding the flash with the overhead lighting technique. I held up the flash with my right hand over Olivia, my actor, to catch her facial expression clearly. For exposure, I made sure to turn the lighting down on my phone before recording. That way the phone will capture the clip with pre lowered exposure. For under lighting, it will be used when something suspicious happens. As it adds a sense of horror and anticipation within the audience.

Natural lighting will be used through the windows in my house. The natural dark lighting, followed by artificial lighting. The use of flashlights, lamps, and any lights already in my house. This will be where the ambient lighting takes place. As they are lights that are already in my house. 


Lowkey lighting will be used for suspense and the horror/thriller side of my short film. I will use lowkey lighting to capture a darker atmosphere versus high key lighting that will take place to see the expression of my actors. In order to get the point across that my main character is struggling with a disorder, I will need to clearly represent her facial expressions alongside others. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #6 - Typical Conventions + Posters

Blog Post #61 - Critical Reflection